Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Tree Skirt, At Home For The Holidays

I fell in love with this Christmas fabric during the Wasatch Front Fall Frenzie Shop Hop. My house is done in Red, White, and Black so its perfect! It's called "At home for the Holidays" and its by Henry Glass. We needed a "skinny" tree skirt. So, this is what I came up with. I found a free pattern here for a tree skirt I liked. This pattern is 60" finished. I needed a skirt that was around 35" finished, so, instead of just cutting it smaller, I simply shrunk the blocks. Instead of using 6.5" squares, I used 4" squares, which came out to about 35" finished.


I also opted for piping instead of the ruffle. I really liked the idea of it looking like a candy cane, so I made my own. The piping was really easy to make. I used a little bit thicker cord, 3/8" to make it look more like a candy cane.

I quilted it with a simple stitch in the ditch.

This was my first attempt at machine quilting, it's harder than it looks!

This was a fun tree skirt to make, and definately got me thinking outside the box! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment